Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Adjusting to a new way of cooking

For the past two years, I have been urging my husband to try to lose some weight but he resisted.  I am thinking now in retrospect that maybe my nudging may have caused him to resist.  Trying to put myself in his shoes, if someone urged me over and over again to go on a diet, I probably would have resisted out of spite.  The fact is, though, we both need to lose serious amounts of weight.

Last week, all of a sudden, my husband started to change his eating habits, which left my very frustrated when it came to cooking meals.  You see, he has been eating low/lower carbs. This left me with a dilemma, however.  I could not make what I have routinely been making for dinners without leaving him deprived, so I have decided to try to eliminate a good amount of bad carbs  from my diet as well and to do that I need to change up my cooking habits.  After scouring the internet, we came up with a recipe of Broccoli, mushrooms, ham, and cheddar baked with eggs.  I changed the recipe up by decreasing the eggs to only 6 instead of 12 and I probably had only about 3 cups of chopped broccoli instead of the 4 the recipe called for.  This is what we had for our supper this past Sunday night and it was delish!  A definite keeper to add to the recipe box.






I forgot to get a picture of the complete casserole, so snapped a shot with a few pieces missing.   

On a side note, the one nice side effect of watching "bad" carbs is that we find that our appetites are somewhat suppressed and we don't crave all those snacks as much.  This way of eating worked very well for him about 15 years ago when he lost a great deal of weight, but unfortunately, he has put it back on over the years, so of course I will be encouraging him in this once again.

1 comment:

  1. Hoping you come back to blogging again! Any quilty pictures?

    ReplyDelete