Thursday, March 28, 2013

Looking back in time

As time rushes by these days, I often think I am not accomplishing much with my spare time.  Then one day I look into the photo albums and the memories of old projects come rushing back of what I have actually done with my love of sewing/quilting. 

Below, is a picture of the very first quilt I ever made.  This was an Amish style quilt I made for my husband's grandmother when we were first married.  I gave it to her as a Christmas present and it was returned to me after she passed.  When I see this quilt, I see and remember her.


Ever want to try a new technique? I do, I do!  This was my first attempt at foundation piecing.  It finished at approximately 16 x 16 inches.  See those little squares in the center of each block?  They measure about 1/2 inch after sewn into the block.  I discovered my love of foundation piecing with this little quilt.


The quilt below came from an insert in American Patchwork and Quilting magazine from I think the mid 1990s.  I really enjoyed making all the different blocks and using calico fabrics that I had tea-dyed to age them.  What I learned from making this quilt is not to be afraid to use the wrong side of the fabric for a quilt.  That's right - I said the wrong side.  I needed another light/neutral fabric for one of the flag blocks and I was trying not to repeat my fabrics too often and the right side of a particular fabric was a little too loud, so I took a look at the back side and it fit in perfectly!   
The above quilt was entered in a local farm show and won a blue ribbon!!  I was surprised as all get out and very proud also. 


So, please take pictures of all of your projects completed, and when you think perhaps you are not getting as much done as you would like, take a moment and look at those photos and relive the memories.  It's not always about how much or how fast we accomplish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment