Friday, March 22, 2013

Baby Quilts





Morgan is the little girl whose parents are friends with my oldest son.  She was born in the fall of 2011.  I thought a baby quilt was in order, and it was a good time to experiment with the disappearing nine patch pattern.   I can’t be exactly sure, but I think from start to finish, this quilt took about 2 weeks of working for a few hours in the evenings.  The quilting was an allover large meandering pattern.  And the backing, well that was the first time I experimented with a pieced backing.  I really liked how it came out.   This quilt was started and completed in October 2011.





The next baby quilt was for a young woman whom I had met while she was cutting my hair.   We just hit it off and had a very pleasant conversation.  Usually I am pretty quiet in the chair while getting a hair cut, but not this day.  The conversation flowed and we had a lot in common even though we were separated by about a 20-year age difference.  She was pregnant and being a single mother, I wanted to do something nice for her and the baby.  What better than a quilt for them to snuggle with.  

I had no idea of the sex of the baby and I wanted the quilt to be a surprise, so I couldn’t ask.  Besides I was a virtual stranger to this person. She might think I was crazy!    Okay, green and yellow it was.  I did have to make a trip to the store for this quilt, as I do not keep much in the way of children's prints in my stash piles.   P.S. Love the monkeys!!!




Again, a disappearing nine-patch was the pattern selected since they go together so effortlessly and look so complicated.  It was machine quilted in an allover large square pattern.  The backing was the solid celadon green fabric.   It was started and completed in August 2012. 

I hope both babies are enjoying the warmth of their quilts. 


2 comments:

  1. I love your fabric choices -- both quilts are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting Michelle. I appreciate the compliment.

      Delete