Thursday, February 3, 2011

Enjoying hand quilting again

In my New Year's quest to work on sewing/quilting at least 20 minutes a day, I pulled out a quilt that I have been hand quilting on and off for about five years now.  The bonus of sitting in the recliner hand quilting in the winter time is that you keep nice and toasty warm while you are working, thus I have only worked on this particular quilt while in the winter time.  Summer would be just too sticky!


I've finally finished hand quilting the entire inside of the quilt with gold thread, which shows up nicely.  I'll probably work on the checkered inner border next.  I haven't really planned any of the quilting in advance, so when I finally get to the outer border, then I'll decide on how to quilt it.   This is a twin-sized quilt in colors of gold, rust, cream, and deep purple.  Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do the colors justice.   The stars are each 4 smaller paper pieced blocks sewn together to make a larger block.  There was no pattern for this particular quilt per se, but I used the measurements from a quilt with 12-inch squares set on the diagonal to help figure the measurements for the corner triangles and the side triangles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment