Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My portable project

 My husband and I are auction junkies on the weekends, but I find myself lately missing some valuable weekend sewing time and thinking of all the projects that I could start or work on or even maybe finish with those missing 4 or 5 hours of auction time.  There had to be a compromise - handwork!! English paper piecing to be exact.

About 15 years ago, I tried my hand at making hexagons for a grandmother's flower garden quilt that never happened (I got bored and abandoned it before I could even see any progress on it).  I watched a video on You Tube (English paper piecing with quilt patis) and decided to give paper piecing another go.  I would not put any pressure on myself; this was just supposed to be a take-along project for those auction adventures. I decided on 6-pointed, 60-degree diamond "flowers".  

I then had to decide what would be my background fabric (the dark gray small print won), and I was not sure if I wanted to piece the flowers and then applique them centered onto a square of fabric or piece them together with contrasting fabric. 
I decided to make diamonds from the gray print and piece the contrast between the 6-pointed flowers.
My first attempt at organization for this project was this cardboard box.  I have since then visited the dollar store and found plastic storage containers with lids to contain it all.

At the dollar store, I also found these plastic chopping mats that I thought would be great for reusable piecing diamonds (and they are - if you don't need a lot at one time), but have since switched to making the diamonds out of card stock, first drawing the pattern and then cutting out with scissors.  I think I have roughly 600 cut out now with about 20 flowers pieced together and a lot more basted and waiting to be stitched together. 






No comments:

Post a Comment